Labor groups vowed to launch more protest actions vs. PAL

A broad coalition of labor groups against contractual employment vowed to intensify protest actions against the management of Philippine Airlines and until President Benigno Aquino III reverses his decision upholding the outsourcing of PAL workers.

“Protest has become the only available recourse for the workers who have to constantly resist the threat to jobs security and most especially their inherent human right to unionize and engage in Collective Bargaining Agreement to improve their plight. We are even more disappointed that President Aquino opted to side with Mr. Lucio Tan who is the epitome of corporate greed,” said Josua Mata, Co-Convenor of Koalisyon Kontra sa Kontraktwalisasyon (KONTRA) and Secretary General of Alliance of Progressive Labor (APL).

Major trade unions and labor groups around the country have banded together to form KONTRA to arrest the growing threat of contractualization that will leave the livelihood of workers and their families at the mercy of the profit interests of capitalists and company owners.

“We appeal for the people’s understanding. Whatever happened to the workers of PAL will become the reality to them and to millions of other workers who will be removed from their regular jobs and subjected to contract employment with low salaries and no security of tenure,” Mata explained.

PALEA sought Presidential Intervention on this case as early as November of last year but the Office of the President ruled in favor of PAL.

The President has the power to intervene and assume direct jurisdiction over any labor dispute involving industries that, in his opinion, are indispensable to the national interest.

Mata said President Aquino continues to ignore the workers’ appeal and even engaged in tasteless media grandstanding that pitted the PAL workers with the migrant workers.

In a statement following the protest that started on September 27, President Aquino was quoted as saying the interest of the millions of Filipinos working abroad is heavier than the interest of the 2,600 workers.

This prompted the migrant workers to issue statements criticizing this justification.

The Migrant Forum in Asia (MFA) issued a statement yesterday rejecting this claim of the President.

“We shall never condone that the rights of our fellow workers be violated in our name. The anti-worker actions of PAL management serve only itself and its profit motive – not the migrants, not the workers. Undermining the legitimate rights of workers in the Philippines ultimately reduces our rights overseas and makes us more vulnerable to corporate greed and employer abuses,” said Rex Varona, MFA Spokesperson.

Varona said the basic interest of 10 million OFWs and the interest of 2,000 workers are one and the same. “In the same way that we demand host countries to respect our right to unionise and give us our just wages and job security – we shall never accept that the rights and job security of workers in the Philippines be violated,” he added.

The group also called on their fellow migrant workers in Asia especially the OFWs coming home for the holidays, to boycott PAL.

MFA is an Asia-wide network of migrant organizations, trade unions and advocates.

“We shall continue to do this, and call on our fellow OFWs to do the same, until PAL management rectifies the violations and fully respects PALEA and the allied unions. We, Filipino and other Asian migrant workers, stand in firm solidarity and support for the PAL workers. An attack against workers anywhere is an attack to all workers everywhere,” the MFA said.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s